To Kill a Mockingbird
Questions to Guide Your Reading
Please be sure to answer these questions in your notebook. You should also be following the Cornell Notes method to take notes on each chapter.
Chapters 6 - 11
- Why does Jem return to the Radley Place to get his pants?
- What is significant about his pants? What happened to them when he retrieved them?
- What early signs of prejudice do we see as a result of the shooting at the Radley Place?
- What does Jem start to realize about Boo Radley, specifically when Jem's pants were mended and about the gifts in the tree?
- Why is Jem so upset when Nathan Radley cements the knothole in the tree?
- Why is Scout so afraid of the snow at first? What might this tell us 'symbolically' about human nature and fear?
- Why does Atticus ask the children to disguise the snowman better? What does that tell us about his integrity as a man?
- How does the town react when Miss Maudie's house burns down?
- How does Miss Maudie react?
- What did Boo Radley do and what does that show us about him?
- Give at least two examples of Atticus modeling integrity and courage for his children.
- Explain the quote…”You’re real nice, Uncle Jack, an’ I reckon I love you even after what you did, but you don’t understand children much.”
- Atticus is different from other fathers; he's much older and doesn't play sports with the kids. How did this make them feel about their father?
- According to Miss Maudie, why is it a "sin to kill a mockingbird"?
- According to Miss Maudie, what does she mean when she says, ”I think maybe he put his gun down when he realized that God had given him an unfair advantage over most living things. I guess he decided he wouldn’t shoot till he had to, and he had to today.”
- What happened between Jem and Mrs. Dubose?
- What were the consequences of this incident?
- What did Jem learn about Mrs. Dubose after her death?
- How did Mrs. Dubose model courage for Jem and Scout?
- Explain this quote: “I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do. Mrs. Dubose won, all ninety-eight pounds of her. According to her views, she died beholden to nothing and nobody. She was the bravest person I even knew."